Photographers Get Snapping
Amateur and professional photographers are invited to submit images that capture the essence of the Kenai Mountains-Turnagain Arm National Heritage Area (KMTA) or speak to KMTA’s role in preserving, promoting and protecting the national heritage area.
All photographs must be taken within the KMTA area which include the communities of Indian, Bird, Girdwood, Whittier, Hope/Sunrise, Moose Pass, Seward and Cooper Landing.
2019 CONTEST CATEGORIES:
Images will be judged in four categories:
- How Do You Play in the KMTA
- We want to see the residents, tourists, and everyone in between that keep the Heritage Area alive in more ways than one! Show us the people that keep KMTA hustling and bustling at work, play, and rest!
- KMTA Communities
- There are eight communities throughout the KMTA National Heritage Area including Indian, Bird, Girdwood, Whittier, Hope/Sunrise, Moose Pass, Seward and Cooper Landing and each has their own history and uniqueness. Tell us the visual stories of the KMTA Communities!
- Sweeping Views
- The KMTA Corridor has an abundance of scenic nature passages – impressive mountains, gorgeous passes and the Turnagain Arm. Show us your exceptional scene! As you explore trails, and hike to the tops of the steep mountains capture those impressive landscapes!
- A Closer Look
- Sometimes you have to take a moment to appreciate the little things – details that our children notice. Keep an eye out the next time you’re out and about. Find the details the make KMTA what it is!
Each entrant must complete and sign one Entry Form for their photographic submission(s). The form is available below.
A maximum of four (4) entries per photographer is allowed. All entries must be listed on a single entry form.
The deadline for submission is September 30, 2019.
Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, photographic quality, and effectiveness in conveying the beauty and/or unique character of the KMTA in one of the contest categories. Minor adjustments, including spotting, dodging and burning, contrast and slight color adjustment or the digital equivalents, are acceptable. If judges believe that a photograph has been significantly altered, they reserve the right to disqualify it.
Each photographer will retain all rights to any photograph submitted – including ownership if applicable – other than those rights licensed in the next sentence. By entering the contest, each photographer hereby grants to KMTA(i) a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, edit, distribute, publicly display the photographs submitted to the KMTA, and (ii) the right to use the photographer’s name, city and state of residence in promotions and other publications.
Winners will be notified and announced by October 2019.
- Grand Prize (Best of Show): $200 Cash Prize
- First Prize (Each Category): $50 Cash Prize
- Second Prize (Each Category): $25 Cash Prize
- Third Prize (Each Category): $15 Cash Prize
The winning images (Best in Show and 1st Place) will be displayed in a travelling exhibit throughout the KMTA Area.
HOW TO ENTER & SUBMIT PHOTOGRAPHS:
- Fill out and sign ONE (1) Entry Form for your photograph(s). Photographers can submit up to FOUR (4) photos. The form is available below.
- Please name your files as follows “last name_first name_number of entry”
- Submit model releases for all recognizable people in each image. The form is available here.
- Submit photograph(s) one of two ways:
- On a flash drive, mailed to KMTA. PO Box 1934, Girdwood, AK 99587
- Digitally via Google Drive. Email a link to your shared Google Drive to email@example.com
- Photographs should be taken at the highest resolution possible.
- Images must be submitted digitally, labeled with the title, location, category, and artist, and the digital image size must be set at a minimum of 300 dpi and a uniform height/width of 8” by 10”
- Photographs must be in a .jpeg, .jpg, or .gif format.
- Winners may be asked to provide photos in .raw format if available.
USB drives will not be returned. KMTA is not responsible for any material lost, damaged, or misdirected in the mail.
Employees, KMTA Board of Directors or members of their immediate families are not eligible to submit entries.
KMTA AREA MAP:
Entry Form – 2019_Photo_Contest_Entry_Form
Model Release Form – KMTA_Photo_Contest_Model_Release_Form
Contest Rules – KMTA_Photo_Contest_Rules_UPDATED_FINAL_2019