Location: Girdwood: 2.7 Miles past Alyeska turn-off
Short Description: The Crow Creek Mine is a restored (and working) mining camp that was originally established in 1896. Now privately owned by the Toohey family, it provides an opportunity for visitors to peek into the life of a gold camp.
Required Equipment: None
Suggested Equipment: None
Safety Consideration: None
- Entrance fee required. Fee structure is based upon activities.
- Call for reservations and more information
- (907) 229-3105
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEASONALLY OPEN: MAY 15—SEPT 15.
Potential Instructional Strategies:
An excursion to the Crow Creek Mine would be an ideal companion to a trip to Hope Museum and/or to the Resurrection Creek site. Whereas these sites require the students to see beyond the rock piles and the faded photos/maps to imagine what living in a gold camp might have been like, the Crow Creek Mine provides the visitor not only a chance to see a recreated site but to try their hand at panning for gold.
The business offers many options for visitors and available dates are limited so call in advance to plan your trip.